Our wonderful volunteers are important partners in our work. Together, we are helping more than 49,000 members of our community every day.
Come join us as we make a positive difference to the lives of those around us. No experience? No problem! Our staff will be there to guide you. All volunteers will also undergo a short orientation program to learn more about Hallie Q. Brown Community Center and what we do.
Each volunteering shift lasts a minimum of two hours. Children are more than welcome to join us as volunteers, especially as garden & landscape volunteers or clothing closet volunteers. Looking to volunteer with your friends, family or co-workers? We have opportunities for you too, including in our food shelf. Just give us a call at 651-224-4601 or approach any of our friendly staff or volunteers at our center for more details!
If you have an organization, corporate or volunteer group that has interest in doing a small or large project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, to coordinate an opportunity that fits your needs.
We look forward to having you join us!
- Garden & Landscape Volunteer
- Looking to work more with your hands? Then join us as a Garden & Landscape volunteer, and help us plant, grow and harvest fruits and vegetables in our very own garden! You will work alongside and teach the kids from our Early Learning Center all about the joys of gardening. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to help revitalize and maintain our playground and outdoor areas by mulching, weeding and cleaning. This role is perfect for individuals or groups who can visit us at least once a week during the spring and summer months. If you are interested in gardening, willing to get dirty and enjoy working outdoors regardless of weather, we want you! Gardening experience and knowledge is preferred but not required.
- Front Desk Volunteer
- Do you love meeting new people and helping others with their questions? If your answer is a resounding “Yes!”, we want you as our friendly front desk volunteer! You will be the first point of contact for any caller or visitor to Hallie Q. Brown Community Center. In addition to greeting visitors, you will help to explain and answer questions about our center’s programs and services; manage phone calls and take messages as needed; and assist our center’s staff with administrative tasks when requested. We are looking for volunteers with good written and verbal communication skills and a great personality. Knowledge of computers, adaptive technology and software are assets but not required.
- Clothing Closet Volunteer
- Every day, our clothing closet provides many of our clients with the clothing and household items that they need. With your help, we can make their experience with us a smooth and positive one! Volunteers will greet and assist clients with their shopping; accept and conducting inventory on donated items; sort, fold and display clothing donations; and track household items as needed. We are looking for volunteers able to lift at least 15lbs, with great verbal communication skills and customer service. Interest in fashion/retail is an asset. We would prefer a minimum 3-6-month commitment, and we have opportunities available on weekdays during our business hours of 9am-5pm.
- Food Shelf Shopping Assistant
- Our food shelf is an important service that our center provides to the community, and you can be part of an amazing team that makes a real difference to many of our clients. As a food shelf shopping assistant volunteer, you will help to welcome clients, check them in and connect them with shoppers; answer phone calls, take messages and schedule phone calls; and receive and unload deliveries, track inventory, and stock shelves. This is a great opportunity for those keen to volunteer in groups as well. We are looking for volunteers able to lift at least 15lbs; comfortable working outdoors; and with excellent verbal and written communication skills and customer service. We would prefer a minimum 3-6-month commitment, and we have opportunities available on weekdays during our business hours of 9am-5pm.
- Archive Volunteer
- Are you interested in historical preservation, American history, cultural studies and urban planning? We have an exciting opportunity for you! Hallie Q. Brown Community Center was set up in 1929, and it has grown with and supported the community in important ways every day. We are looking for volunteers to develop and grow our Historical Archive and the preservation efforts around the photographs and documents of the historic Rondo neighborhood. You will have the important task of making sure our history and our roots are never forgotten, by helping to digitize old photographs, compile metadata and other organizational needs Our in-house archivists will train and supervise volunteers on protocol and techniques.
- Photography and Videography Volunteers
- Calling all budding photographers and videographers! Are you looking to add to your portfolio while doing your part for the community? We are seeking a volunteer photographer and a volunteer videographer to capture photos and video footage of our community center, food shelf, clothing closet, child care center, Retired Men’s Club, Magnificent Golden Agers, and other senior programs and activities and events hosted at the center. Your images and videos will be shared on HQB publications, social media and on our website to help tell our story, raise funds and reach out to even more members of our community. Volunteer hours are flexible, depending on project needs.
Support the organizing efforts for various programs at HQB. Projects may focus on the classroom supply lists, Clothing Closet donations, Food Drive inventories, or elsewhere. Available year-round.
Revitalize the playgrounds and outdoor areas of HQB by mulching, weeding, and cleaning. Opportunities available in late summer and early fall.
Give areas of HQB a fresh coat of paint to brighten up the building for children and clients. Opportunities available year-round for groups or individuals, including weekends.
Fight hunger in the community by organizing a food drive at your company, organization, church, school, or neighborhood. Anyone can start a drive and we’ve got the resources to support you. Opportunities available year-round.
School Supply Drive
Ensure local students return to school with needed supplies by organizing a school supply drive at your company, organization, church, school, or neighborhood. We can help strategize with you to make it a success.
Holiday Meal Baskets
Provide holiday meals for families in need by organizing a giving campaign in your community, or visit us to assist with distribution of meal baskets during the holiday season.
Toy Drive/Toy Shop
Make a happy holiday season for local children by organizing a toy drive at your company, organization, church, school, or neighborhood, or visit us to assist with toy distribution at Hallie’s Toy Shop in December.
Help with cleaning and organizing storage rooms, garage space, and basement areas. We host major, biannual cleanings of the Food Shelf and Clothing Closet.
Ready to get started? Download our Volunteer Application here: Volunteer Application
If you have questions please contact us at email@example.com.